Thursday 1 November 2007

Muntjacs

With all the fallen apples rotting on the ground, I'm surprised I haven't seen the muntjacs. Maybe there is so much food nearer to where they live that they don't need to cross the farm fields, push through the hedge and come into the garden.

Two years ago I saw the hind for the first time. This spring she was joined by a stag. At first, I didn't know what I was looking at. Animals the size of a large dog, but one with tiny horns? It was my partner who identified them. He tells me there used to be a private wildlife park near the Heinz HQ and he thinks they have escaped from there. I'm hoping they had offspring as it would be great to see a whole herd of them and I'm sure we can spare the odd apple. I hate Bramleys, anyway! But they can keep their teeth out of the Cornish Aromatics.

No comments: