Saturday 26 January 2008

Sparrowhawk attack


It should be renamed the blackbirdhawk. I had thrown out a cherry this morning and the blackbird was happily enjoying it when suddenly, the hawk hurtled down like an arrow and went for the blackbird. In the confusion, all I saw was a flurry of barred wings and speckled brown feathers, then the hawk was off, soaring over nextdoor's garden. I don't know if it got the blackbird or not. I certainly haven't see it since. I had always understood that a sparrowhawk went for small birds, like, um, sparrows. Perhaps, with the depletion of the sparrow population, sparrowhawks have had to widen their menu. Though a fully grown male blackbird is, surely, a bit of an optimistic target.

I have 'borrowed' the photo of the sparrowhawk from the RSPB's website (www.rspb.org.uk) where you can actually hear a recording of the cry of the sparrowhawk and see a short video clip. Well worth a visit.

No comments: