Saturday 19 July 2008

A swoop of swifts

Walking down my street in West London on Wednesday, my eye was caught by the sight of a couple of swifts zooming over the treetops. Then I saw that they were hurrying to join an enormous group that were darting, banking, wheeling and generally performing swiftian aerobatics. A swift count (sorry!) totalled forty or more. I had never seen so many in one place at a time.

I have often wondered whether the story of swifts sleeping on the wing is fact or myth. I Googled my question and found the answer on a wonderful website called http://www.londons-swifts.org.uk where not only are the some stunning photos of a notoriously difficult bird to capture on film (I apologise for 'stealing' the photo earlier in this blog) but all one's questions on this beautiful, graceful bird are answered. Mr Edward Meyer and his enthusiastic fellow swift-lovers are willing to give talks on swifts to groups of bird lovers. Email him via the website for further info.

And do swifts sleep on the wing? You'll just have to read website, which tells all!

No comments: