Monday 23 March 2009

Kama Sutra Magpies

I saw the strangest sight on the lawn. I didn't know what to make of it at first, so I blinked and looked again. It appeared to be a magpie with its wings in a kind of pyramid shape, lying face down on the lawn. Then I noticed it had two heads. As I reached for my camera, the shape began to dissolve and the top half of a magpie sandwich flew away, revealing the female lying flat on her back beneath him. The odd shape of the wings had been caused by hers being tucked around his. I have never come across birds using the missionary position for mating before. Are they unique in the bird kingdom?

1 comment:

Jackie Sayle said...

I've never seen birds mating in the missionary position either, unless that's just how he happened to run her to earth so to speak. Mind you, I can't say I've spent a great deal of time watching the sexual activities of birds.:-)