Sunday 27 June 2010

Hoppy rat!






I'd just thrown a mouldy loaf out and what should be first on the scene than this rat, scampering along towards the bread.




She chose a whole slice...



then, as it was so much bigger than her, she hopped along on her hind legs, taking bounds like a kangaroo as she vanished up the side path and round the bushes. Ten minutes or so later, she was back for more, but dropped it when a magpie swooped down and attacked her. Then he carried off the spoils. There's still plenty left, though. I'm convinced Ratty is a she as she's so pretty and perky, and I feel sure she was carrying it off to her babies. (Babies??? Oh no! Flad, where are you? You're letting down the name of Cat!)

2 comments:

Jackie Sayle said...

Haven't seen rats in my garden for a few years now, which doesn't mean to say there are none. I remember seeing 3 working as a relay team on my Ceanothus bush. There was a bag of peanuts hanging at the top of the gently sloping trunk. Rat 1 ran up the trunk and extracted a nut, passed it to Rat 2, who was stationed halfway down, who passed it to Rat 3 at the bottom, who took it under the fence to store under my neighbour's shed.

I felt terrible about getting pest control in, but rats and domestic premises don't make a good equation.

hydra said...

They are so intelligent, aren't they? I suppose the bird seed attracts them to our garden. We had one in the kitchen ceiling a few years back. It gnawed a hole through which Mr G filled up with that nasty yellow foam that sets like concrete, and it went away.