Sunday 15 May 2011

Twin foxes


For the past few weeks, I have been wondering how one skinny-looking vixen can eat so much. She may be feeding cubs, but from the amount I'd seen her eat, it was a wonder she didn't resemble Mrs Foxy Blobby!

Now I know the answer. We've been feeding two. Identical in every way, even down to the mangy hindquarters and the lion-style blob of fur on the end of the tail. They must surely be sisters from last year's litter. I think the one in the background is a vixen, anyway; she's much shyer than the other one and grabs her food and rushes away into the bushes to eat it, so I've never had much chance to study her. The tamer vixen eats her grub at the end of the decking. They are exactly the same shape and size, so I don't think the other one is a dog fox. I shall be on the lookout for him/her now, so I can find out.

2 comments:

Teresa Ashby said...

Lovely! You must have thought you were seeing double at first!

hydra said...

I did!