Tuesday 17 April 2012

Jackdaw on the feeders

I could hear the jackdaws making their familiar chack-chack sound, which always takes me straight back to my friend's cottage in Cornwall. In fact, the first time I heard them here in West London was a bit of a shock and made me think for a moment that I had been magically transported back to St Agnes. So anyway, I took the camera out of its bag and right on cue, this jackdaw landed on the nearest set of feeders. It was my first opportunity to see one close-up, with that dusting of powdery grey over the head and shoulders. What a handsome bird. That pigeon doesn't look as if it approves at all!

It's interesting to see how the population of big black birds has shifted over the 15 years I have been spending time in Hillingdon. For twelve of those, the crows ruled. Then a few months ago, the ravens arrived and now there is not a crow to be seen. And now the jackdaws have moved in, too. What could be next, I wonder?

2 comments:

Jackie Sayle said...

If you want to see jackdaws close up go to almost any motorway service station. There are lots of them.

hydra said...

Where do they roost, I wonder?