Saturday 13 October 2012

Fine fox

We hadn't seen the vixen for weeks. I had had a tin of dog food decomposing in my fridge - it had been opened at least a week ago when we saw one of the cubs - so last night I decanted it into the fox bowl and this morning, not only had it vanished but the vixen was back, looking wonderful with her thick winter coat and full brush, a terrific contrast to the rat-tailed, mangy-looking sight of earlier this year.

February this year.


Today.




I noticed what looked like a brown, withered autumn leaf stuck to the kitchen ceiling this morning. On closer inspection, it turned out to be a beautiful moth. I couldn't find it in my Butterfly and Moth Guide so I posted the image on Facebook. A short while later, I found it on an online guide and it's a Herald Moth. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Herald_(moth)

Absolutely beautiful, with its striped legs, glowing red outer wings with distinctive spots and wavy lines and serrated edges for extra camouflage.

1 comment:

Unknown said...


Hi!

I'm a student at Brunel University and am doing a video project on foxes in the Uxbridge area, would you be interested in taking part in a short video interview? If so, my email address is: stephanie.wareham@live.co.uk

Thank you for a fantastic blog, I really enjoy your posts :)

Stephanie