Friday 22 March 2013

Adult goldfinches

The adult goldfinches have much brighter, more distinct markings than the juveniles. I'm quite pleased with this photo I took a few days ago.


Goldfinches did well last year. We have had as many as eight juveniles visiting the feeder, queueing up and trying to barge one another off the perches. It's quite funny to watch them as they get ever so cross when forced to wait their turn. Their markings are paler and more blurry. I reckon it's time I got a second niger seed feeder, don't you?

2 comments:

Teresa Ashby said...

Gorgeous picture. We rarely see goldfinches in our garden. Maybe I should put niger seeds in one of the feeders :-) x

hydra said...

Yes, Teresa. That should bring them in. My next door neighbour says he has had linnets on his niger seed. I don't even know what a linnet looks like! Must whiz over to the RSPB website.