Friday 12 December 2008

Olive's disappearance

For months now, the little fox has appeared regularly in the garden, especially at human mealtimes when she sits, head cocked to one side, gazing at us beseechingly. But her mother, the alpha vixen, started chasing her off and now she hasn't been seen for two days. I really miss her.

Last night, unable to sleep, I got up around 2am to heat up my hot water bottle. I stared out at the lawn and deck which were white with frost then suddenly I saw a narrow dark shadow. It didn't resemble a fox at all, yet it turned into one and there was Olive, making a run for the leftover stew, now frozen solid. She seemed very nervous as she grabbed a mouthful and fled, obviously wondering if she were about to be beaten up for trespassing on what once was, and maybe still is, her mother's territory. Mother meanwhile will be ready to mate again and produce next year's cubs. It was my hope that Olive might one day bring her cubs into the garden but I don't think there's any chance while her mother is still alive.

Mother is a magnificent creature with dark red fur which is almost a copper beech colour and a massive brush. But I still have a soft spot for her ginger daughter - maybe because I'm ginger too!

No comments: