Thursday 15 April 2010

Chaffinches

Very perky robin.



Male chaffinches.

Female chaffinches.


Female chaffinch with, on left, what I think is a female robin.


I never realised before that chaffinches went about in flocks. There are four pairs currently using the feeders and the females go around in one group and the males in another, just like teenagers. I was really surprised when they appeared. Growing up in Liverpool, we used to get them in the garden. Then they disappeared and the last ones I saw were in my sister's garden in Cumbria so thought they had all gone North!

I also got a lovely shot of a robin on a feeder. These were taken on a zoom lens as the feeders are about 75 ft from the house.

2 comments:

Jackie Sayle said...

Great pics! We've had a very 'gobby' blackbird leading the dawn chorus at our chalet in Devon, chiff chaffs and sparrows, and robins, as normal, leading Beloved a merry dance to get pics of them. Seagulls are no problem in Devon or at home. They just yell and pose. The buzzards that nest up on the ridge in Devon have been very co-operative this time, too.

hydra said...

My bird problem is the wretched magpies. They start yakking at dawn and wake me up. The nest is right outside the window. If I had a gun...