Wednesday 30 September 2009

Spider time!




It wasn't till I started experimenting with the macro lens of my new Fuji digital SLR camera that I realised how many colour variations there were amongst garden spiders. Here are just two. I was lucky enough to catch the black and white one in the act of repairing its web. It's worth clicking to get a close-up as you can actually see the silk coming out of its spinners.

The female squirrel - do they have young this time of year? Her teats look as if she is suckling babies - had been for a drink in the pond and I pressed the shutter just in time before she skittered off across the lawn.

2 comments:

Jackie Sayle said...

It's very possible the squirrel is suckling kits. A Dec-March mating produces kits in March-May and a March-May (Spring) mating produces kits in July-Sept. The gestation period is 42-45 day and lactation (milk-production) lasts for 70 days.

Great photos! The detail on those spiders would scare my daughter half to death!

hydra said...

Thanks for the squirrel info. I didn't know the babies were called kits. How sweet!