Monday 7 March 2011

A narrow escape



I saw this big bumble bee and rushed out to photograph it. Just as I clicked the shutter, I noticed the eight-legged enemy that lurked on the other side of the heather sprig. I could almost read the spider's mind; hmm, do I stand a chance? Should I pick on somebody my own size? As soon as the bee buzzed and vibrated its wings, the spider turned tail and dashed for the cover of the leaves.

What a splendid specimen of a bumble bee it is. Look at all that pollen clinging to its fur.

2 comments:

Teresa Ashby said...

Beautiful bee. I do love bees. That spider looks truly horrid!

hydra said...

I managed to rescue a bee from the pond today. It was on its last gasp and I was so worried it wouldn't survive, but luckily it dried out in about twenty minutes and bumbled on its way. Hooray!